You probably bought your first Ether on exchanges like Coinbase, Bitstamp or Kraken. In order to buy Ether you had to verify your identity providing scans of your personal ID documents issued by your country.
The crypto landscape of 2017 was one of fierce anonymity. But with evolving regulations more and more activities in the blockchain world have to be connected to verified persons and reported if necessary to comply with various anti-money laundering and tax laws, including crowdsales and token rewards.
How to start your KYC
Log into your Priority Pass account, click on your e-mail displayed in the top right corner and then click Settings.
You're now on your Account Settings page where you control your Priority Pass account. Click on the last tab Security and carefully read the provided KYC text.
Please make sure that the data you have provided is credible and correct, as you remain solely responsible for the truthfulness of the data submitted.
When you're ready to get started tick the box next to the text "I confirm my documents are issued by the country of my current residence" and then click button "GET STARTED".
What happens next?
Your KYC process will start in a new browser window/tab and you'll be prompted to choose your country and select your ID type. For the purpose of this tutorial I will choose Identity card as my ID type.
Make sure you provide clear scans or photos of your documents or KYC will fail.
If you have a Slovenian ID card, please tilt your camera when photographing it so it shows an ID number and not a figure of a man on a horse.
In the next step you're presented with two options. You can either Capture image with your device camera or Upload file from your device. I will choose the latter and upload my ID card from a photo I took earlier with my mobile phone.
First you have to upload the front of ID card. Click Choose file and select a file from your computer and after checking you have the right file click Continue.
Second you have to upload back of your ID card. Click Choose file, select a file from your computer and after you check that you have the right file click Continue. Steps are the same as in the previous screenshot.
IMPORTANT! Uploading the back of the document applies only to verification through ID card. There's no need to upload the back of your Passport or Driver's license.
Last step of your identification involves a photo of you. It's best if you take a "selfie" and upload it. Make sure you're in a well lit room and don't have a direct source of light behind you. Click Choose file and select a file from your computer and after you check that you have the right file click Confirm.
Next you'll see a screen where documents are checked if they're readable enough to verify your identity.
After you should see following:
And now you can close this browser window/tab and head back to Security tab in your Priority Pass account page where you will see this message after you refresh that page:
It usually takes no more than half an hour to verify your documents and photo but in some extreme cases it may take up to 3 working days (don't hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you're concerned about your KYC being received). After a successful verification you'll see your name and country of residence written under Security tab.
Congratulations you have passed Know Your Customer procedure and don't have to do anything else at the moment.
Tips to pass KYC process easier
- You have to upload a valid (not expired) document. It also shouldn't be modified in any way (hole punches are a sign of an expired document).
- When photographing your document make sure you're in a well lit area. Natural sunlight is usually best. Make sure you take photos without any glare.
- Make sure you capture your whole ID (no corner cutting!) and that the photo is in focus.
- We suggest you use Chrome browser to complete your verification.
- Taking photos with your computer camera could produce blurry photos because of a low quality of your computer's camera. We suggest you take your ID photos with mobile phone.
- Do not obfuscate any information on the ID.
- If it happens that you uploaded the wrong file and clicked Continue, just refresh the page again and start your verification from the beginning.
- When you're taking a "selfie" for the last step of verification process please make sure the light is coming from in front of you, not behind you, so that your face is clearly lit and visible.
- If you are wearing glasses in your ID photo, wear them in your selfie photo. If you are not wearing glasses in your ID photo, remove them for your selfie photo.